Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Raging Case of Hatter-itis

Okay, first off let me say that I've always been an Alice in Wonderland fan. I'd watch the movies that they made for tv - you know, the ones that were full of celebrities wearing animal costumes. I have the books. All good. And then I saw that Tim Burton was making a Wonderland movie and decided I'd skip it. Why mess with a good thing? Ha! Joe brought the DVD home from Blockbuster one day and I watched it beause there simply wasn't much else to do. And I was hooked.


Johnny Depp's Hatter was indeed Mad. But also heroic and vulnerable. I started reading some fan fiction based on the movie, and it just made me love the Hatter even more. I changed my Facebook pic, bought the movie on Bluray, and settled back to enjoy the best Hatter ever.

Until Joe brought another DVD from Blockbuster - the Syfy channel's miniseries take on Alice in Wonderland, called simply Alice. I looked at the cover, saw mechanized flying flamingos, and figured that was definitely not worth watching. Ha again! Xander wanted to watch it, so I watched with half-interest while we played some board games and things.



Andrew-Lee Potts' Hatter wasn't Mad, not really, but he was so incredibly awesome! First off, cutie deluxe. But I really loved his tough-on-the-outside, soft-and-vulnerable-on-the-inside take on this character. And the ending makes me melt each time I watch it (and that has been many, many times). You can bet your sweet bippy I'll be getting that for my DVD collection, and very soon. And thank the fan fiction writers who have given me much more Hatter to enjoy.

Joe says I'm obsessed. I say, "all your fault!" He brought both those Hatters into our house, so it's not my fault that I wanted them to stay. And if you haven't seen the movies, you might want to check them out. Or not. I don't mind keeping those Hatters all to myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's mad, I tell ya! Mad!!! Nothing like a good movie that becomes a part of you. Good on ya! Love ya, M. (5 days!)

Cat Lady

Cat Lady
For the March All About Me Challenge at ACOT