Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Family Flashback: Weenie Wagon


Oh, how I hated the weenie wagon! Why my mother got it into her head to get this is beyond me. But I was stuck working in it with her in the summer (1987), parked down by Stamford pool or Jamesway in Oneonta. It was just a small little trailer, and we'd be in it all day in the heat, with boiling weenies. Mom gave all the hot dog variations dog names, and we branched out to include candy as well.

I can remember panicking every time Mom left me alone in the wagon because I had a hard time making change (especially for the woman who bought a weenie and paid me with a 50 dollar bill). I remember hooking up with Deaf Jeff that summer when we were parked by the pool, and wishing I could hook up with some of the guys when we set up at Aunt Marge's auction barn. I remember running up to Grand Union to get chicken wings to share with Mom (hot dogs lost their luster after awhile).

Mostly I remember being relieved when Mom sold the weenie wagon. I never missed it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We made some money with that wagon. I really liked having it. Anyway, it was a good memory. Love ya, M.

Cat Lady

Cat Lady
For the March All About Me Challenge at ACOT