Friday, July 31, 2009

Feeling Techno-Savvy

So, I was thinking today about how much technology has changed since I was a kid. Joe had said the other night how lucky Xander was to have his DS, since we didn't have hand-held games when we were kids. And then we had those big, brick-like Gameboys (Tetris, anyone?).



These days it's unusual to find someone that doesn't have a cell phone (even if they don't use them much, like me). Heck, Joe has a Blackberry that he reguarly goes online with. My own humble little Tracfone takes pictures, for goodness sake. We've got DVDs, CDs, MP3 players, the DS, and of course the trusty laptop. Because e-mail isn't quick enough, now you can text or twitter. (I have sent exactly one text!)


When I stop to think about it, it's pretty crazy how much technology has changed since I was a kid. Back in the days of Apple IIe computers and dot matrix printers, when cell phones were huge and portable music either pumped out of a "boom box" or a big ole walkman. Even just using this blog to keep up with my family - who'd have thunk it?

I can't wait to see how much will be different when Xander is ready to go to college. What new advances will there be? How much more confounded will I feel at times, dealing with all this electronic stuff? Maybe by then I'll be able to remember to charge my cell phone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, let's see - The microwave oven, ice makers, computers, cordless phones, color tv's, vcr's, digital cameras, video cameras, cell phones, tivos, cassettes, 8 track, keyless ignition, gas barbeques, calculators, the list is endless for my generation. Still waiting on that flying car, though. Love you, M and V.

Cat Lady

Cat Lady
For the March All About Me Challenge at ACOT