Monday, August 17, 2009

Hunter Mountain Celtic Fest

Joe and I went to the Hunter Mountain Celtic Festival this weekend, our first time back in about 4 or 5 years. This used to be marked in permanent ink on my calendar - I was going every year even before I met Joe. But the festival has gotten fairly lame in recent years, which is why we stopped going to it. However, by a quirk of fate I happened to just check their website and discovered that Seven Nations (my favorite Scottish band!) was playing. So of course we had to go.



Much to our dismay, the festival hasn't gotten any bigger. It was mostly vendors and food stands. Should've been called the International Food Festival, because you could get bratwurst, crepes, Jamaican food, mexican food...actually, the only celtic food you could get was bangers (sausage) and someone had crock pots set up so people could try haggis. Joe opted for some Texas BBQ.



Gone is the caber tossing and sheep dog demonstrations. We were either watching dancers or listening to bands. We staked out some seats in the main tent and spent several hours there waiting for Seven Nations to come on. Joe and I discovered that we really liked the Young Dubliners, but weren't overly enthusiastic about Black 47. Seven Nations was awesome, but they don't have their totally rockin' bagpiper anymore - he's been replaced with a young kid. Ah, well, I still loved them!


So it wasn't a total bust. But I think we may have to look elsewhere to get our Celtic fix in. There's always the Irish Fest in Durham!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, those were the good old days. Everything ends up changing, but seldom for the better. Glad I never saw the watered down version. Sorry you had to . Love you, M.

Cat Lady

Cat Lady
For the March All About Me Challenge at ACOT